The Sweet History of HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE WORLD
It’s been nearly 50 years – since 1973 – that we opened our doors, but we like to think that our story began more than 60 years prior, when the original HERSHEY’S Chocolate Factory began public tours.
They became so popular over the years that the chocolate-loving demand warranted a visitors center. And so HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE WORLD Attraction was born, opening just one day after the factory tours closed. Ever since, we have loved sharing the story of HERSHEY’S Chocolate that is still inspired by our factories today.
Join us on a trip down memory lane, exploring the chocolate-y moments in Chocolate World history that made us what we are today!
Our Favorite Moments in Chocolate World History:
- 1910: Public tours of the original HERSHEY’S Chocolate Factory began. While this is before we opened, these tours are special to us because they would later inspire our beloved free HERSHEY’S Chocolate Tour. Riding it gives you a sneak peek into the inner-workings of that very factory!
- 1978: Chocolate World transitioned a heritage area into 2,500 square feet of retail space (translation: candy and goodies!). As a result, we’re proud to call ourselves the World’s Largest HERSHEY’S Store.
- 1979 & 1988: We celebrated the inception of our world-famous cookies and milkshakes (respectively). That makes decades that we’ve been selling and perfecting these goodies. No wonder they’re so delicious!
- 2006: The adorable cow trio affectionately known as Gabby, Harmony and Olympia were introduced to our HERSHEY’S Chocolate Tour ride, representing HERSHEY’S signature farm-fresh milk ingredient. And more cows would come 10 years later. (They never get old, right?!)
- 2010: We opened Create Your Own Candy Bar, an authentic factory experience that gives you a true sense of being up close and personal with HERSHEY’S chocolate-making. And takes us back to our roots and the story we love to share with you!